Many of us find our New Year’s Resolution is to get back into an exercise routine. Here are some tips on how to stay safe when you’re first getting back into shape, and how to stick with the program.
Before you begin
- Talk with your doctor: If you have not been on an exercise regimen for a while, it is a good idea to chat with your doctor to make sure you’re medically cleared to begin exercising.
- Get some appropriate gear: If you plan on walking or jogging, buy some good shoes. If you’re swimming for exercise, find a swimsuit that fits correctly. Make sure you’re wearing comfortable clothing while you’re exercising, or you’ll be less likely to continue.
Once you’ve started
- Reward yourself when you make it to the gym (but probably not with unhealthy snacks): Set an attainable goal. If you achieve that goal, reward yourself with something special, like new fitness gear or a massage.
- Exercise with a friend: If you find it difficult to motivate yourself into exercising, having someone hold you accountable can be a big help. Exercising with someone can help the time pass more quickly. You can also use each other as inspiration.
- Find an activity that you enjoy doing: This can make a big difference in whether or not you keep exercising. Whether if you like the fast-paced spinning classes or the slow stretching of yoga, finding something you like will motivate you to keep attending classes or turning on that DVD at home. If you’re not sure what you enjoy, try a number of different things to see what holds your interest. Many gyms include classes in their membership fee or give discounted rates for trying out the class.