If the worst has happened and your loved one has been injured or neglected in an Iowa nursing home, you’re probably looking to hire an attorney. But how do you know which attorney is right for your Iowa nursing home abuse case?
Below are 3 steps you can take to make sure the attorney you hire is the right one for your claim:
1. Create a list of names of Iowa attorneys that handle nursing home abuse cases.
This may seem easy, but it is a very important first step. In many cases, people do not explore their options before hiring an attorney. When you combine the amount of time and money invested into a serious Iowa nursing home abuse case, it could be worth as much or more than a new house. You would not buy the first house that you saw without stopping to look at others in the market and examining your options. You should not do that with an attorney either.
That requires you to do some research to find the right lawyer for your case. There are two ways you can start your search:
- Ask any attorney friends who they would recommend. If you have an attorney friend, they may not handle these types of cases, but knows someone who does. They can give you a list of reputable attorneys known for handling cases like this well.
- Look online. This can be a great way to find a list of names, but be careful – don’t focus on the ones that do the most advertising. Check for online reviews and look over their website, but remember you’re just doing research, not looking to hire someone right away.
You should also note that there are very few attorneys in Iowa that handle nursing home claims. Because it is such a specialized area of law, it’s likely the same names will pop up in your search. Be sure to further investigate each person.
2. Call the attorneys on your list and ask for written information about Iowa nursing home abuse claims.
Now it’s time to collect information on each of the attorneys on your list. Start by calling each attorney’s office or visiting their website and requesting written materials on Iowa nursing home cases. Specifically request materials about this type of case, so you know whether they specialize in this area of law.
Once you receive the written materials, read over them to determine if each attorney has the experience and expertise you need for your claim. If not, remove them from your list. Narrow down your list to no more than three or four names.
3. Arrange in-person interviews with each Iowa attorney on your short list.
Call each of the offices on your short list and request an appointment to speak with the attorney in-person. It’s important you meet face-to-face with any lawyer before you hire them. Nursing home lawsuits often require you to relive upsetting details. You need to feel comfortable with the attorney you hire so you feel safe in sharing these details.
If you would like to schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation with one of our experienced Iowa nursing home attorneys, call RSH Legal today at 1-319-774-1783.