Getting the Settlement You Deserve in Iowa Semi-Truck Accident Claims

Back to Articles

Posted by Tim Semelroth

Being in a semi-truck accident can have a lasting impact, including physical injuries, emotional trauma, and financial burdens. In Iowa, accident victims have the right to seek compensation for their losses.

Types of Damages You Can Be Compensated for in an Iowa Truck Wreck

To seek compensation in an Iowa semi-truck accident case, it’s important to understand the types of damages you can be compensated for.

These include:

  • Medical Expenses: This includes the cost of medical treatment, hospitalization, surgery, medication, rehabilitation, and future medical needs caused by the truck crash.
  • Lost Wages: If your injuries prevent you from working, you may be entitled to compensation for both current and future income loss.
  • Pain and Suffering: This category of legal damages compensates a crash victim for things like physical pain, emotional distress, anxiety, and loss of enjoyment of life.
  • Property Damage: This includes the cost of repairing or replacing damaged personal property, like your vehicle.
  • Wrongful Death: If a loved one dies in the semi-truck accident, surviving family members can pursue a wrongful death claim, seeking compensation for funeral expenses, loss of financial support, and the loss of certain family relationships.

Time is of the Essence in Your Semi-Truck Crash Claim

Understanding the statute of limitations is crucial in Iowa semi-truck accident lawsuits. The statute of limitations sets a time limit for filing a lawsuit.

In Iowa, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases, including semi-truck accidents, is generally two years from the date of the accident.

Consult with an experienced Iowa truck accident attorney to determine the specific time limit in your case, as exceptions or circumstances may alter the timeline.

Failing to settle your case or file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations can result in the court dismissing your case, preventing you from receiving compensation for your truck accident damages.

Truck accident claims differ from regular car accident claims in an important way. The trucking company can legally dispose of some accident evidence just six months after the crash.

To prevent this, you need an experienced Iowa semi-truck accident lawyer to send a notice called a “letter of spoliation” to the trucking company and other potentially liable parties within 6 months of your crash.

Acting promptly is crucial to protecting your rights after a serious Iowa truck accident.

The Steps in Your Iowa Semi-Truck Accident Case

Seeking compensation involves navigating a legal process that requires understanding Iowa’s laws and procedures. Here’s an overview of the typical steps:

  1. Consultation with an Attorney: Seek help from an experienced truck accident lawyer who can evaluate your case, explain your rights, and guide you.
  2. Investigation and Gathering Evidence: Conduct a detailed investigation, collecting accident reports, witness statements, medical records, and other relevant documents. Consult expert witnesses for professional opinions supporting your claim.
  3. Demand Letter and Negotiations: Draft a demand letter outlining your claim and present it to the trucking company. Negotiate for a fair settlement that compensates you adequately.
  4. Filing a Lawsuit: If a satisfactory settlement cannot be reached, file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations. Engage in discovery, where evidence is exchanged, and depositions may be taken.
  5. Settlement or Trial: Many cases are resolved through negotiations before trial. If an agreement cannot be reached, you need an attorney to present your case in court so a jury can decide.

Get the compensation you deserve after a serious truck wreck. For a free, no-obligation case evaluation, call RSH Legal today at 1-800-433-0283.

Looking for Iowa Legal Help?

Find out how to get treated fairly after an injury or disability in Iowa

For a free, no-obligation case evaluation, call us at (319) 409-6575
or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form to reach us online