I Was Hit by Someone Driving a Company Vehicle in Iowa – What Do I Do Now?

Back to Articles

Posted by Tim Semelroth

If you were hit by someone who was driving a company vehicle, you are probably wondering what rights you have.

First, let’s define how a company vehicle is different from a privately-owned vehicle.

A company vehicle is a truck, van, bus, or any other vehicle that is owned by a company, rather than a person.

It can be used to haul personnel or equipment.

Some types of company vehicles are driven only during certain hours or during certain duties – while other vehicles are given to employees to drive whenever they choose.

Who is Responsible for My Accident-Related Injuries?

If a company owned the vehicle that caused your crash, the company is ultimately responsible for compensating you for your crash-related harms and losses.

Sometimes, companies have automobile insurance on their vehicles.

Sometimes, companies cover their vehicles under a general commercial liability policy.

It can be hard for a layperson to tell at first how much insurance is covering a commercial vehicle.

It often takes a thorough review of a company’s insurance policies to know how much insurance is available for your harms and losses.

You should never settle a serious injury claim without consulting with an Iowa personal injury attorney about which company policies cover your case.

What to Do Immediately After a Crash with a Company Vehicle

The most important thing to do immediately after an accident is to seek medical attention.

If an ambulance is called to the crash scene, take it to the hospital.

If an ambulance is not called, see your doctor as soon as possible after the crash.

Even if you think you weren’t seriously hurt, injuries can take hours or even days to show up.

The Iowa legal system says you are responsible for proving your injuries after a crash.

One of the most effective ways to do so is to get a medical exam right after the accident, and then continue treating your injuries until you are healed.

These medical records can be crucial to proving your case.

What Evidence Needs to Be Collected After the Accident?

After a serious accident, there are key pieces of evidence that need to be collected.

Because this evidence is so varied and can be difficult to locate, you should have an experienced Iowa personal injury lawyer do the digging for you.

Some of the evidence that may be necessary to collect includes:

  • Video cameras, including traffic cameras and property security cameras
  • Eyewitness statements, including possible video footage from witness smartphones
  • Information about weather and road conditions at the time of the crash
  • Law enforcement reports

A good personal injury attorney will handle the collection of evidence process for you so that you can focus on healing from your injuries.

If you have been seriously injured in a crash with a company vehicle, you need an experienced Iowa personal injury lawyer to fight for fairness for you.

Call RSH Legal today at 1-800-433-0283.

Looking for Iowa Legal Help?

Find out how to get treated fairly after an injury or disability in Iowa

For a free, no-obligation case evaluation, call us at (319) 409-6575
or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form to reach us online