Can You Sue the Driver Who Hit You for Being Uninsured in Iowa?

Back to Articles

Posted by Emily Anderson

There are lots of people on the road in Iowa who do not have car insurance, or more commonly, who do not have enough car insurance to compensate a person if they severely injured them in a crash.

However, you cannot sue a person because they don’t have car insurance. While there are criminal penalties for not failing to have insurance, there is no civil claim that you can file.

A person who doesn’t have insurance can be personally sued for a car accident. That being said, we often find that if a person does not make the effort to purchase car insurance, they do not have sufficient personal assets to satisfy an Iowa personal injury claim against them.

How to Protect Yourself Against Uninsured and Underinsured Drivers

To protect yourself against uninsured or underinsured drivers, you should make sure you’ve purchased adequate car insurance coverage for yourself. You can purchase both underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage to make sure you’re covered in the event of a crash.

Uninsured coverage kicks in when a negligent driver hits you and causes injury, but does not have insurance. Underinsured coverage kicks in when a driver has insurance, but not enough to compensate you for your injuries.

In Iowa, the state minimum amount of liability insurance a person is required to carry is only $20,000.

Do You Have Enough Insurance Coverage to Protect Yourself After a Crash?

If you don’t know about this type of coverage or don’t know how much you have, you’re not alone. Our personal injury lawyers talk to injured people all the time who are shocked to find out they signed a form electing out of uninsured and underinsured coverage, or that they have a very low amount in their policy.

We recommend purchasing as much of this insurance as you can afford. Some insurance companies allow you to purchase “umbrella” coverage. Make sure the “umbrella” includes underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage, as many do not.

Pick up the phone and call your insurance agent today. Ask them whether you have this coverage, and if so, how much. Price out how much it would be to max out this coverage, and if you can afford it, add it to your policy. If you get hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver, you’ll be glad you did.

Suffered a serious injury in an Iowa car accident? We may be able to help. Call RSH Legal today at 1-800-433-0283.

Looking for Iowa Legal Help?

Find out how to get treated fairly after an injury or disability in Iowa

For a free, no-obligation case evaluation, call us at (319) 409-6575
or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form to reach us online