What Happens if My Iowa Employer Doesn’t Report my Work Injury to the Workers’ Compensation Insurance Company?

Back to Articles

Posted by Dillon Besser

Iowa law is clear about the requirement an employer has to report workplace injuries to workmans’ compensation within 90 days. While some injured workers in Iowa have employers who properly report and submit work injuries to their workers’ compensation carrier, many employers ignore injured workers, presenting them with this issue at the start of their workman’s comp claim.

If an injured worker reports a work injury, the employer in Iowa must investigate according to the workers’ compensation laws and determine the benefits they need to provide to the injured worker.

If you are an injured worker who is in an unfortunate situation where your employer has failed to take the proper steps, there are some things you should do right away.

How to Report Your Iowa Work Injury

First, ensure your workers’ compensation claim receives clearance.

Under Iowa law, an injured worker has to inform their employer about the work injury within 90 days once they recognize or should have recognized its work-related nature.

Certainly, the best approach is to report the injury right away. When this happens, you are often able to complete an injury report. However, if there are any concerns as to whether the employer is actually taking action regarding your work injury, further steps may be necessary.

If an injured worker is in this situation of uncertainty, they should take the actual step of providing notice in writing to the employer themselves. There is no specific required form to provide notice. However, we recommend that the notice is in writing and clearly state:

  1. You have an injury or condition that requires evaluation and/or treatment;
  2. You believe this injury or condition was caused by work; and
  3. You are requesting medical care through workers’ compensation.

You can give this written notice to a person in HR, your supervisor, or a safety director if your employer has one. When providing notice in writing, you should always make sure that you keep a copy for your own records.

If you’ve followed all these steps and your employer still doesn’t report your claim, or if you have concerns about your employer’s treatment regarding your workers’ compensation benefits claim, consider contacting an experienced Iowa workers’ compensation attorney. They can guide you through the process and ensure the protection of your rights.

If you are in this situation, do not hesitate to receive your free, no-obligation case evaluation by contacting RSH Legal today at 1-800-433-0283.

Looking for Iowa Legal Help?

Find out how to get treated fairly after an injury or disability in Iowa

For a free, no-obligation case evaluation, call us at (319) 409-6575
or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form to reach us online