Immediately after a fall accident in Iowa, there are 4 steps you need to take.
1. Seek medical treatment for your injuries.
Your number one priority after you fall is to see a doctor as soon as possible. If you are seriously injured, it’s a good idea to take an ambulance to the emergency room. Even if you don’t go to the ER, see a doctor as soon as you can. Your injuries may take a while to show up, but that doesn’t mean they’re not serious.
Not only is it important to treat your injuries, but these medical records are crucial pieces of evidence if you decide to pursue a personal injury claim later down the road. Without this evidence, it will be much more difficult to prove your case.
2. Report the slip and fall accident.
You should immediately inform the homeowner, property owner, manager, or landlord (whatever applies to your case) that you fell. Include details about where you fell and what caused the fall in your report. If you are not able to immediately report the fall because of your injuries, have a family member or friend do so.
3. Document your fall accident.
After your slip and fall accident, try to document as much as you can once you’re able. This includes:
- Getting names and contact information of any witnesses. Even if no one saw you fall, witnesses can testify whether the area was slippery or otherwise unsafe.
- Taking photos. If you’re able, get photos of what caused your fall – whether it was a slippery walkway, uneven concrete, or loose carpeting. Take multiple pictures from different angles. Try to put an object in the photo that provides context for the size of the condition. Also make sure to take photos of your injuries, especially injuries like bruises, scrapes, or broken bones.
- Writing down everything you remember about the scene of the accident. If you fell in a store or public place, note any names and job titles of employees who saw the fall or spoke with you afterward. Make notes of anything the employees said or did during your conversation. See if they will let you record the conversation.
- Checking to see if there is video footage of your fall. Nowadays, many businesses have on-site cameras that record all activity. If you fell at a business, check with management to see if they have any footage of your accident.
4. Call an experienced Iowa personal injury attorney.
If you have been seriously injured, you need an attorney to help get you fair compensation. Many business owners or their insurance companies are slow to accept fault for an accident, even if it seems obvious that their negligence caused your injuries.
An experienced Iowa slip & fall lawyer can investigate your accident, negotiate with the insurance company, and hold the negligent parties accountable for your injuries.
If you want someone to fight for fairness for you, call RSH Legal today at 1-319-774-1783.