Any attorney licensed to practice law in the state of Iowa is technically allowed to file a truck accident crash claim, but that doesn’t mean they will get you the compensation you deserve. Semi crash claims are different than “regular” car accident cases in a variety of ways.
Here are 3 ways to know the attorney you’re tdalking to is experienced in Iowa truck accident cases:
(1) Real Iowa truck accident lawyers are board-certified in truck accident law.
Board certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy is a rigorous process that thoroughly tests a lawyer’s credentials. This testing includes:
- References from judges and other lawyers
- At least five years of practicing truck accident law
- Real trial experience, including participating in at least 5 jury trials that went to verdict
- Experience teaching other attorneys about truck accident law
- Providing examples of legal briefs that have been accepted by courts on trucking issues; AND
- Passing a four-hour written examination.
If an attorney is board-certified, you can be assured they have the truck accident expertise that you need.
(2) Real Iowa truck crash attorneys can show you their trucking library.
As I said before, tractor-trailer crashes are a different type of case than a regular car accident claim. Because the loads that truckers are carrying are often heavy, hazardous, or both, truck drivers must follow both federal and state laws to keep our roadways safe.
Real truck accident lawyers have books like these in their offices because they use them every day in their truck accident cases.
These key trucking resources include:
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations which outline the minimum safety standards for the trucking industry in the United States;
- State commercial driver license manuals, which list special truck driver knowledge and skill required to have a commercial driver’s license; and
- Trucking industry resources like truck driving school textbooks which are regularly used to prepare students to become professional truck drivers.
If an attorney cannot pull out books like these the first time you come to their office, you are probably not dealing with an experienced truck accident lawyer.
(3) A real Iowa truck accident lawyer can tell you the name of the expert they will hire to inspect the semi-truck that hit you.
These days, tractor-trailers are outfitted with state-of-the-art technology that logs various kinds of data, including speed, location, and even crash detection and avoidance systems. This electronic information can help build a case against a negligent truck driver – but only if an attorney knows to ask for it.
Attorneys who handle truck crash cases must know how to request and preserve electronic information – and know what kind of expert can get this information after a crash. As you might imagine, experts like these expensive to hire – but are vital to your case.
If an attorney is not willing to make the immediate investment of time and money to properly investigate and preserve electronic evidence at the beginning of a truck accident case, they’re probably not the trucking lawyer you’re looking for.
If you’ve been injured in a semi crash, you need a real truck accident lawyer who can fight for fairness for you. Contact RSH Legal today at 1-319-519-4312.