A car accident can happen in an instant and leave you in shock. While at the crash scene, you may feel you weren’t injured that badly. However, as the days pass, you may find you weren’t so lucky – pain and inability to function can develop over time. Can you still make an Iowa car accident claim if you didn’t report an injury at the accident scene?
Types of Delayed Pain After an Iowa Car Crash
Delayed pain can show up in a variety of ways after an accident. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, see a doctor as soon as possible:
- Whiplash pain (any pain in the head, neck, or shoulders)
- Back pain
- Changes in personality, thinking, or movement, as these could be symptoms of a traumatic brain injury
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, or anxiety that has appeared or been made worse by the crash
No matter when these symptoms appear after an accident – whether right away or in the following hours or days – they are serious and should be treated as such.
Don’t Settle Your Car Accident Claim Before You Realize You’re Injured
Hopefully you have not settled your claim with the other driver’s insurance company or signed any paperwork. Settling your case before you are ready could result in you paying crash-related medical bills out of your own pocket.
The other driver’s insurance adjuster may tell you that you need to settle your case soon, but don’t believe them. Iowa law says you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit or settle your case. That time limit means you can take some time to have a doctor evaluate and treat your injuries without fear of losing out on fair compensation.
It’s also important for you to get treatment for your crash-related injuries until you’re healed, or as healed as a doctor says you will get. This is important for two main reasons:
- Treating until you’re healed provides a complete set of medical records that document your injuries. These medical records are critical to prove to the insurance company how serious your injuries were.
- If you are not 100% healed and suffer from lasting problems due to the crash, an attorney can use evidence of your need for medical treatment to ask for fair compensation during settlement negotiations or at trial.
Hire an Iowa Car Accident Lawyer Soon After a Crash
It’s best to hire an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as you know you have a serious injury. While you do have time before you must settle your case or file a lawsuit, serious car accident claims require investigation. An attorney will need to gather your medical records and bills, consult experts, and determine how much your case is worth. This all takes time.
RSH Legal offers a free case evaluation for Iowa car accident victims. These consultations are no-obligation and are always free. If you would like a free consultation, call RSH Legal today at 1-319-774-1783.