How to Get a Copy of the Police Report After an Iowa Car Accident

Back to Articles

Posted by Tim Semelroth

Have you been seriously hurt in a car accident in Iowa? You are probably worrying about how to get your medical bills paid. Insurance companies are often slow to pay victims, but one way to speed up the process is by obtaining the police report of your accident as soon as possible.

Using this report, an experienced Iowa personal injury attorney can quickly assess your case and explain the next steps to take.

Below are the steps you can take to get a copy of your car accident police report in Iowa:

1. Find the appropriate law enforcement agency.

The first step is to figure out which law enforcement group responded to your accident.  They will be the ones you need to request the report from.

2. Determine whether that law enforcement agency provides reports by mail or online.

Some departments allow you to file a request online. However, most departments require a formal request over the phone or by mail. Many departments also charge a small fee to send the report.

When you get to the website, search for a form that you can mail back to the department.  If no online form is available, call the department and ask them how you should request your accident report.

3. Read the request form carefully.

Once you receive the law enforcement department’s request form, make sure you know what every question means. If you are unsure how to answer a question, call the department and ask for clarification. The form will likely ask for the following information:

  • Name and address of the parties involved
  • Date and location of the accident
  • The report or incident number, if you know it
  • The type of incident – you will be requesting information about an automobile accident
  • If you are not the original party in the accident, your relationship to the party

HERE is an example of a typical report request.

4. Fill out the request form fully and accurately.

After you fill out the form, double-check that each answer is correct before submitting it. Even a small mistake can hold up the process. Make sure that every number and name are written out clearly and correctly.

5. Submit the request.

Make sure you submit the report the way that the department asks – whether by mail, in person, or online. Ensure you comply with their instructions, otherwise they may deny your request.

After the request is submitted, the police department will notify you when the report is available. If the department has not sent it by the time they said they would, call them for status updates periodically until you have the report.

6. Keep the report in an accessible place and bring it with you to your free Iowa car accident attorney consultation.

During your free case evaluation, bring this accident report and other important paperwork along with you for the attorney to review.  This will help the lawyer make an informed decision on whether you need an attorney for your Iowa car crash case.

If you would like to schedule a no-obligation case evaluation with one of our Iowa personal injury attorneys, call RSH Legal at 1-319-774-1783 today.

Looking for Iowa Legal Help?

Find out how to get treated fairly after an injury or disability in Iowa

For a free, no-obligation case evaluation, call us at (319) 409-6575
or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form to reach us online