No. 1: Promptly investigate all “preventable injuries” to nursing home residents
The following is a list of common injuries to nursing home residents that are often caused by neglect or abuse. These injuries can usually be prevented by appropriate nursing home administration and care:
- Falls causing broken bones or head injuries
- Sexual abuse
- Decubitus ulcers, related infections, septic shock and gangrene
- Severe malnutrition or dehydration
- Restraint injuries
- Physical abuse or assault
- Injuries during transfer or gait assist
- Elopement or wandering injuries
These injuries are not always caused by neglect or abuse, but they do raise questions about the level of care being provided to residents in that nursing home. If a loved one has suffered one of these injuries, it is in their best interest to request the incident report and conduct your own investigation into whether the injury was caused or could have been prevented by the nursing home staff.
To find out the rest of the 9 things you need to know if you suspect nursing home neglect or abuse, use the form to the right to download the entire Legal Insider’s Guide to Iowa Nursing Home Claims.