If you’ve been injured in an Iowa motorcycle accident, it will be important to obtain a copy of the official accident report from the police. This evidence will help illustrate what happened during the crash and could help you get a fair settlement in your personal injury claim.
What Information Does an Accident Report Provide?
An accident report provides several important pieces of information, and is an essential resource for a variety of reasons:
- The document serves as an unbiased report of the details of your accident. The report typically includes:
- The date and time of the crash
- The weather conditions
- The damage sustained to both vehicles
- A diagram of the crash
- A brief explanation of the events that led up to the crash, and the crash itself
- The report serves as a snapshot of what happened during the accident. If you were not at fault for the crash, the accident report will generally show this.
- The report can also serve as evidence of your injuries. This can help you or your motorcycle accident lawyer prove to the other driver’s insurance company that their client was at fault.
How Can I Get an Accident Report?
If you have an Iowa personal injury attorney, usually they will obtain the report for you. However, if you haven’t yet decided to hire a motorcycle accident attorney, you can get the report yourself.
First, you need to figure out which law enforcement department wrote the accident report. If your crash occurred within a city, such as Cedar Rapids or Iowa City, it’s likely going to be the Cedar Rapids Police Department or the Iowa City Police Department. If the accident occurred outside of a city or town, the Iowa State Patrol or county Sheriff’s Department will need to be contacted.
You will need to fill out a written request and pay a small fee in exchange for this report. You can usually specify whether you want the report delivered by regular mail or e-mail.
How is the Other Driver’s Insurance Company Using the Accident Report?
It’s not unusual for the other driver’s insurance company to also request a copy of the accident report. It’s likely they will use this and other evidence to offer you a lowball settlement. Don’t settle for less than you deserve. You should be compensated fairly for your injuries, and an experienced Iowa attorney can help you with that.
If you suspect you are being taken advantage of by the other driver’s insurance company you need to contact a knowledgeable Iowa motorcycle accident lawyer who can handle your personal injury case in Iowa. To speak with one of our experienced attorneys, call RSH Legal today at 1-319-774-1542.