Iowa Workers’ Compensation Tips: Getting a New Doctor for Your Work Comp Treatment

Back to Articles

Posted by Farl Greene

Attention! Iowa’s Workers’ Compensation laws changed July 1, 2017. This article’s information may be out of date. Visit our Workers’ Compensation Page for more information.

As you may know you are entitled to receive treatment from a competent doctor under Iowa Workers Compensation Law.  This doesn’t mean you go out and pick who you feel the best doctor is however.  Your employer or their workers comp insurance company will do that. This treatment must also be provided in a reasonable and timely manner.  This post is about what to do if that treatment is poor or even terrible. Here’s what you do-always put it in writing.

  • Communicate your dissatisfaction, in writing, to whoever is paying for your treatment.
  • If that doesn’t work get a second opinion.  If the second opinion is very different from the approach you are getting now, that will be much more compelling evidence to the Iowa Workers Compensation Commissioner.  It usually takes something on the level of a conflicting second opinion to get the attention of the workers comp commissioner.

Successfully exercising your right to choose another doctor should be done with a workers comp attorney.

Looking for Iowa Legal Help?

Find out how to get treated fairly after an injury or disability in Iowa

For a free, no-obligation case evaluation, call us at (319) 409-6575
or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form to reach us online