3 Reasons You Need Underinsured Motorist Coverage if You Ride a Motorcycle in Iowa

Back to Articles

Posted by Pressley Henningsen

It can feel like a one-two punch if you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident in Iowa and learn the person who hit you doesn’t have enough car insurance to cover all of your medical bills. That’s why it’s worth considering investing in uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

Although Iowa law requires drivers to carry car insurance, the minimum legal amount drivers must carry is only $20,000.  With the cost of medical care skyrocketing, $20,000 will barely cover a fraction of your bills if you’re seriously hurt.  And this is only if the other driver is following the law and has insurance – often drivers will not carry any car insurance despite Iowa law requiring them to do so.

With that being said, here are three reasons why adding uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage to your policy can be a lifesaver if you are injured in a motorcycle accident in Iowa:

1. Uninsured and underinsured coverage isn’t expensive and could help you if you have been in a crash.

Uninsured (UM) and underinsured (UIM) motorist coverage can be a lifesaver if you have been seriously injured in a bike crash.  Motorcycles are much smaller than the other vehicles on the road – which can mean more severe injuries if you are hit.  This can mean a traumatic brain injuryspinal cord trauma, or other life-threatening wounds.  This in turn means costly medical bills and time off work to heal.

2. If they’re not insured, or are underinsured, you probably won’t get any compensation from the person who hurt you.

If the person who hurt you doesn’t carry enough insurance to cover your bills, or they don’t carry insurance at all, you are legally allowed to sue them for their other assets.  This can mean money in their bank accounts, any property they own, or even garnished wages.

But let’s be honest – if they don’t carry any insurance, or enough insurance, it’s unlikely they have the cash or other assets to cover the rest of your medical bills.  It is not worth suing them for damages if there is nothing to gain by doing so.

Investing in underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage means that you can still get compensation for your injuries even if it has to come from your own car insurance.

3. Your health insurance won’t cover everything.

Even if you have health insurance that covers your medical bills, you’re still responsible for deductibles, co-pays, and uncovered treatments.  If you meet your insurance policy limits, then the remainder of the bills will need to come out of your own pocket.  If you’re off work because of your injuries and as a result lose some of your income, your health insurance will not cover these lost wages.

But if you carry UM/UIM coverage on your policy, all of this can be taken care of.  This coverage will help cover any lost wages due to time off work, and can help cover deductibles and co-pays.  Most importantly, you will not have to pay medical bills out of your pocket due to insurance policy limits.

If you have further questions about Iowa motorcycle accidents, download our free Law Guide to Iowa Motorcycle Accident Claims.

Looking for Iowa Legal Help?

Find out how to get treated fairly after an injury or disability in Iowa

For a free, no-obligation case evaluation, call us at (319) 409-6575
or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form to reach us online